I have a strong interest in the psychiatric rights movement, and the rights of persons with psychiatric disabilities to determine their future and find a place for themselves in society without the burden of stigma.
Some information on psychiatric rights and issues pertaining to electroschock therapy, the over-medication of psychiatrically disabled persons, the pathologization and biologization of psychiatric disability, the problematic nature of DSM diagnoses etc. can be found in the teaching and research sections of this website, and in my own writings and podcast..
In the “My research and scholarly projects” section you will find details of two collaborative field projects on psychosis that I am conducting with my colleague Marilyn Charles of Austen Riggs Center. My research team currently has a book, Lives interrupted: An analysis of life narratives of persons with chronic psychiatric struggles, under contract. It will be published in December 2018.
In the “About my teaching” section of the website you may download recent doctoral syllabi on psychosis and trauma, as well as bibliographies on psychosis, and on adult and child trauma.
Following are web links to a sampling of the many organizations and websites that are active around issues of critical psychiatry and psychiatric rights:
- The Antipsychiatry Coalition
- Psychiatric Drug Facts with Dr. Peter Breggin
- Critical Psychiatry
- Dr. David Healy
- Hearing Voices Network
- ElectroConvulsive Therapy
- The Coalition for the Abolition of Electroshock
- Gail Hornstein
- The International Community for Hearing Voices
- The International Society for Psychological and Social Approaches to Psychosis (ISPS) United States Chapter [isps-us allows free participation on their list-serv for 3 months, and all students are urged to join and participate]
- The International Society for Psychological and Social Approaches to Psychosis [international division of isps]
- Mad in America
- Madness Radio
- Mind Freedom
- Schizophrenia Without Antipsychotic Drugs & The Legacy of Loren Mosher
- National Association for Rights Protection and Advocacy
- Psychiatric Survivor Archives
- International Society for Ethical Psychology & Psychiatry
- The Law Project for Psychiatric Rights (PsychRights)
- Radical Psychology
- Stop Shrinks
- The Thomas S. Szasz Cybercenter for Liberty and Responsibility
- The Icarus Project
- National Resource Center on Psychiatric Advance Directives
- International Network Toward Alternatives and Recovery
- Essays for the Truth Seeker; Healing from Childhood Trauma